This is not yet a finished shot. I've been mulling over ideas an themes for an art show at some point in the hopefully near future, and I've decided to work with the symbolism around locks and keys. Unfortunately, I need a macro lens for at least a few of the shot concepts that are in my mind and trying to come out. I've borrowed one from work for today and I've been playing with it a little, which has pretty much convinced me to buy my own as soon as I can.
In any case, for this image, it's more a test of lighting than anything else. What I'm trying to do is light up the "blade" of the key, give a hint of the rest of the key, and leave the rest of the image totally black. I was half-successful; I ended up blacking out the foreground in post-production, mostly because I lack a suitable surface to shoot on. I think I know what I need to get the shot to fully work though, and it shouldn't be too hard or expensive to aquire. I'll likely tweak the composition and lighting further when I do the actual shoot, but this is a good start.
As a side note, depending on your monitor, this may appear very dark. When posting to the web, I usually err on the side of caution, since most Windows-based displays have a much lower gamma, resulting in images appearing too dark when compared to what I see on my own display. So, often I brighten my images before uploading them. In this case, because the darkness is a significant part of the image, I haven't done that; I hope it's still viewable for everyone.